Merry Christmas! I'm nearing the end of my second week in New York, so I believe it may be time for a quick update.
- To date, I have preached in two English language services and I will preach Christmas Morning in a combined service. My text will be Luke 2:1-20. With each Sunday, I feel more comfortable. Please pray that I am able to protect my preparation time and use it faithfully so that I am more able to communicate the gospel clearly and effectively.
- I mentioned the combined service. If you are not aware, Brooklyn Chinese Baptist Church (BCBC) is one church with three language congregations: one in Cantonese, one in English, and one in Mandarin. On the first Sunday of each month, and on other significant holidays, the church holds a single combined service with translation.
- Ordinarily my primary responsibility at the church will be the English congregation (preaching on Sundays and overseeing the Wednesday Prayer Meeting and Friday Bible Study, and teaching our "101" class in English). Additionally, Lord willing, I will be teaching English in the BCBC Teaching Center (with Davis College), and conducting a weekly chapel at our After School Program. Please pray for diligence and faithfulness to the work. Please pray that God will help me with organization and time management.
- I feel like I’m adjusting pretty well from Lakeland, FL to Brooklyn, NY. People have been asking me what it’s like to move between two places that are so different from each other. My answer is that the differences are not really that great, it’s just that there are a lot of small differences. The winter is colder here. I’m ministering in a different cultural context than I grew up in. I have to find different stores to buy groceries and other necessities. But other than these things, life is pretty normal. My pastor and pastor’s wife have made me feel like family, and my English congregation have been very welcoming. Please pray with me that I would continue to make friends and be even better integrated into my new church family. Please pray that I would get up to speed quickly so I can focus on teaching and pastoral care. Please pray that I am able to make contact with and establish relationships with various professionals such as a personal Doctor and a CPA.
- During the week after Christmas, we are privileged to host a team of missionaries who have come to New York through our local association (MNYBA) to bring the gospel to the City during this Christmas Season. They will be helping us run “Winterfest,” a Christmas outreach to children in the neighborhood. There will be games and other festivities, and we will invite the children to come back for programs that run through the year like VBS and After School. The missionaries will also help us with an event on New Year’s Eve called “Good News in Chinatown” where we will pass out 1000 gifts around the neighborhood with a gospel tract and an invitation to the church. Please pray for the missionaries as they prepare to arrive and for the people who will receive gifts and invitations to BCBC.